Thursday, May 28, 2009

Bennett’s Big Weekend

This weekend was all about Bennett, and Grandma Allen came in to town to be a part of all of it.

First, on Friday we had Bennett’s birthday party.  If the following pictures look somewhat familiar, that is because we did the exact same things this year that we did last year, just with a different theme.   Last year the theme was Firefighting, and this year the theme was  Where the Wild Things Are  (an idea I saw on the Internet and can take no credit for).  If I could describe the party with one word, it would be WILD.  But I think Bennett and the other kids had fun, which is what is important, right?

The house before the party:

DSC_0921

party supplies

DSC_0916

the cake

DSC_0922 DSC_0923

DSC_0924

decorations

DSC_0935

DSC_0937

DSC_0936

reading the book (including Bennett roaring his terrible roar)

DSC_0948

DSC_0944

Grandma and Mina ran “Musical Max” in the family room

DSC_0942

DSC_0961 DSC_0958

while Sharla and I ran “Pin the Tail on Max” in the living room

DSC_0956

Leading up to the party, Bennett had been very opposed to the idea of masks.  During the party, Bennett wouldn’t put his mask down.

After the games, it was time for the Wild Rumpus (or dance party).  I had a whole playlist of possible songs, but we only made it through the first song (Phil Collins’ “You Can’t Hurry Love”) due to the wild nature of the rumpus, and a slight injury of one of the party guests.  That song is only 2minutes and 48 seconds long.  It may have been the longest 2 plus minutes of my life. 

DSC_0962

DSC_0965

DSC_0967 Grandma couldn’t help but get in on the dancing action!  Yeah, that is Rusty dancing on the sofa.

DSC_0969

These kids had some pretty sweet moves.

Then it was time for the hot dinner we had advertised.

DSC_0977

DSC_0988

Then, after a failed attempt to sing to Bennett and blow out the candles outside. . . .

DSC_0990

we went in the house to sing to Bennett.

DSC_0993

DSC_0997

DSC_0998

then back outside to eat the cake (we did just get new carpet, you know).

DSC_1000

Of course there was a pinata:

DSC_1008

DSC_1012

DSC_1014 DSC_1018 Bennett apparently misplaced his goodie bag, and just grabbed as much candy as he could with his hands.

Then we finished the party off with presents.  Bennett made off with lots of fun things that have kept him occupied this last week, for which I am grateful.  Bennett was introduced to the world of Legos.  We spent this afternoon putting together his first set.  He loved it.  I didn’t as much.  Putting it together was fine.  But there are just so many small little pieces, any of which are essential to the set as a whole, and could very easily be lost.  One more thing for me to stress about – keeping track of all of those teeny, tiny, pieces.  But Bennett really loved it.  In fact, I took him to Target today to pick out something with the money he got my from grandparents.  And he picked out another Lego set.  Sigh.

DSC_1022

DSC_1025

DSC_1049

The whole group before we gave them back to their parents:

DSC_1056

Cute group of kids, huh?  Reagan was absent from the party thanks to Becky, who kept Reagan for me.  I can’t even imagine what the party would have been like with her there.  She wasn’t around for Bennett’s party last year either.  I wonder how old she will have to be before I let her attend her siblings birthday parties.

 

Saturday was Bennett’s final preschool program and graduation ceremony.  These pictures should look familiar as well, since Ellery participated in an identical program last year.  Reading this blog must be getting pretty boring, since it is so monotonous. 

Bennett was one of the King’s men that attempted to put Humpty Dumpty together again.  He loved his costume that he got to wear, since it was armor and a sword.

DSC_1065

DSC_1068

DSC_1079

DSC_1081

Poor Humpty.

DSC_1085

The whole group in their costumes.

After the program, they put on their graduation hats and got their diplomas.  Here is Bennett when we asked him to hold still so we could get his picture:

DSC_1094 

He can be a very silly little boy. 

Getting his diploma from Teacher Lori, and our cute little preschool graduate:

DSC_1100 (2)

DSC_1104

Pictures with his proud family:

DSC_1108

DSC_1117

DSC_1120

(No Reagan.  We left her home with a babysitter.  Do you feel bad for her that she is missing out on so many things?  You shouldn’t.)

DSC_1126

It was so nice of Grandma to come out for Bennett’s big weekend.

We love our sweet little boy so much.  Congratulations, Bennett, on turning 5 and on finishing preschool.

13 comments:

Sarah S said...

Holy cow that was a LOT of little kids at the party!! I can't imagine. I loved the different games and ideas for the party!

And I'm laughing that Reagan has not been included in some of those events. Two is an interesting age... :) Eli throws himself down on the floor in the most dramatic fashion - I wish I could capture it on video one of these days, because it's out of control!

Kara said...

What a cute birthday party theme. Love the masks. That was a LOT of kids at the party- you are one brave woman.

Lisa Allen said...

You are officially the PARTY MOM! I don't know how you do it :) What a fun birthday for Bennett!

The Girly Girls said...

Nice job Rach! And I'll take Reagan anytime.

Becca's Blog said...

Looks like such a fun party Rach! I wish I could have been there to help, but it looks like it was a huge success! Thanks for having the boys.

Margaret said...

Ok. I am NOT showing my Bennett this post or he will know the difference between being the 2nd child and the 4th.

No I choose to keep him in the dark. Like Reagan :)

rebecca allen said...

It was fun to be there to celebrate Bennett. It was a fun party and a fun program. I think I need to come soon to celebrate Reagan, even if she is two.

5 mcneils said...

I don't know if the fire marshall would approve of that many kids. jk You are great mom, in a few years they won't want parties anymore, just money. p.s. poor Reagan. She's going to have a lot of ammunition against you when she is older.

Winnie said...

My head hurts from seeing all those "wild things" running around your home.

You are such an awesome mom!

I agree with 5McNeils comment, Reags will have lots of ammunition, and she will have the evidence available to her on the net. :-D

Tell Bennett happy birthday from us and congratulations on graduating preschool. We love him.

I don't think I've ever seen a knight completely decked out in armor wear flip-flops before.

talitha said...

That's a whole lotta wild things. I'm glad Bennett has a good birthday! Marin misses him.

Darin and Joanna said...

I'm impressed. That was a LOT of kids to invade your house....I'm not sure I would be so nice! I can't believe he is 5! Where does the time go. He is sure a cute little boy!

Laura Hyde said...

That was really fun to experience the party without having to run the party. You have an amazing amount of energy that you find from somewhere Rachel. I must find your source of power one day.

honeymama said...

For a minute I was thinking Bennett could possibly date Gemma, but now seeing this party I realize that it's best if my kids don't know about your kids. ;)

I love you!