I kept the decor simple, just a yellow and red theme.
Fireman Mike started us off with a demonstration of fireman gear and a little fire safety instruction.
Mike asked for a volunteer to get dressed up in his extra set of gear. Bennett wanted nothing to do with it. So Ellery volunteered.

Then we took the kids to the backyard for some firefighting training. First there was the water brigade:

And then the Fireman Relay. It took some convincing to get the kids to put on the hat and coat. Most kids just went for one of the other. And some kids went for neither:
Once the kids had completed their training, they earned their fireman hats and badges. Then we headed back to the front to play Musical Firetrucks on the driveway. It was a little strange that I hadn't found a great song to play to ahead of time, so we played to the first song on the CD that was in the CD player, which just happened to be "Called to Serve." But the kids didn't seem to mind.
Then we played Pin the Balloon on the Firetruck. They kids may have been able to see through the blindfold. They all did really well.
Then we took a break from the sun and went inside to open presents. Bennett got way too much stuff. He did get some Ninja Turtle stuff, so it was sortof a Ninja Turtle party.
After presents, it was back outside for lunch -- hotdogs (get it, fire=hot, hot dogs), chips, and juice pouches. Total choas, even with the help of 8 other adults. Trying to feed 15 2-5 year olds in 10 minutes was a bit crazy.
Then we sang to Bennett and he pretended to blow out the candle, since we couldn't get it to stay lit.
Then we fed 15 kids cake and ice cream in 10 minutes.
For the last five minutes of the party, I distributed goody bags, and then the kids took turns hitting the firetruck pinata. After everyone had gone once, we let Bennett have at it.
He wasn't having much luck breaking it, and the crowd was getting restless, so I ended up just turning it over and dumping out the contents. The children swarmed.
And then we sent them on their way. I think the party was a success, largely due to Mike. He was so cute with the kids and such a big help the entire party. He brought all the fireman gear and the hats and badges for the kids. He brought over his grill, and cooked all the hotdogs for us. And he did all of this for a couple of Brats and some rootbeer. What a friend!
I still have a fully intact firetruck pinata if anyone wants to use it and throw their own Fireman Birthday party.
ps -- Reagan was up in her bed sleeping the entire party. I felt a little bad that she missed the party, but can't imagine doing all we did, and trying to keep track of her also. So it was a blessing that she slept.

7 comments:
What a creative party! The party queen strikes again. It's nice that you had such nice weather. I didn't see Sam in any of the pictures, so he must have been the photographer. Happy Birthday Bennett!
I love the decorations, the party games, and having a real fireman at the party is so fabulous!
Seeing your well-planned and organized party details is giving me a little anxiety about Eli and Ben's big birthday party this weekend - we're combining Eli's 1st and Ben's 30th into a big huge party at a nearby park, and there are 67 people coming so far. I need to get my bum in high gear to be ready for Saturday!! I keep telling myself it's going to be low-key, the kids are going to just play on the playground and adults will mingle and talk, but I hope I'm not in totally over my head?? Great party planning Rach!
You always have the best ideas Rach! We have a fireman that lives on our street so I might have to steal your idea when Colton get old enough! So save that pinata for me for the next 2 or 3 years ok? ;)
Rachel, you amaze me! It makes me tired to think of doing even half of the things you do. Bennett is one lucky little boy. Rachel is turning 13 next week. I think I'll take you up on the offer of the firetruck pinata. Do you think she'll go for it?
How cute! Looks like it was definitely a success, that must have been so fun for the kids to do fireman stuff and get to wear the real gear. The decorations looked great and I love the fire truck pinata.
What an awesome party! I wish we could have been there.
You are the ultimate party planner.
Oh my goodness...I am SO glad that my son Bennett can't read. Or there would be some serious rioting here.
Post a Comment