Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

The kids and I returned last night from two weeks in Utah.  It was so nice to be around family the past couple of weeks, and we had a wonderful time on our trip.  But there is much to do the next 10 days, so it feels good to be home.

We had a good day.  I have majorly lowered my expectations, and thus am pretty easily pleased with myself when I put forth any amount of effort to make the kids feel loved.

No homemade valentine's this year.  Reagan gave out Playdough, Bennett gave out Fun Dip, and Elle taped suckers onto foam hearts that she wrote little notes on.  I got a small valentine for each of the kids, which consisted of a card and candy.  You know, because I was really concerned they wouldn't get enough sugar at their class parties and from their Valentine's exchanges.  I had great plans for a red dinner, but didn't get the jello made, and didn't get the chocolate dipped strawberries dipped.  So our dinner was just a heart-shaped pizza from Papa Murphy's, some strawberries, and some red punch.  But when the day was done, I think the kids felt loved and everyone seemed happy, so I feel all right about my efforts.

Here are some images from our day of love, 2012:

The kids came down this morning to find their valentine's.
 Cam seemed pleased!
 Bennett reading his card -- feigning in interest in something other than the treats.
 Never too early for chocolate.
 Elle feels the same way.
 Grandma got to have lunch with Bennett at school before she flew back home today.
 Grandma saying goodbye to Elle.
 I got to attend a little of Bennett's Valentine's party at school, which he loved.

 My four little Valentine's!

 Valentine's Dinner!

Sam and I don't usually do much for each other on Valentine's Day, and under our current circumstances I really wasn't expecting anything.  The kids and I mailed off cards to him yesterday, so best-case scenario they are there by the end of the week.  So imagine my delight/surprise when I came home today (after a very crazy day, I might add), to find a box of flowers on the front porch.  It doesn't take much to bring me to tears these days, but when I opened that box and found the note from Sam inside, I lost it.  I really needed that very thoughtful gesture today, and so grateful for a sweet husband who knew that this year, of any year, flowers on Valentine's day was a very good thing.

I have much to post about.  January, including my sweet Campbell's birthday, and the first couple of weeks of this month, including a very fun trip and my sweet Reagan's birthday.  Hopefully in the next couple of days I will get caught up.

Happy Valentine's Day!


No comments: