Sunday, July 11, 2010

1st Week of Summer Vacation, or Yeah for Visitors!

The night of the last day of school, Sam’s oldest brother Brad, his wife Winnie, and their three children arrived in Denver for a visit.  Although we love all of our extended family and cousins, Elle definitely has a special place in her heart (cousin crush?) on Caleb, and there had been much anticipation regarding their visit.  Like months of countdown, papers all around the house with the word “June” on them (June for when Caleb was coming), etc.  We tried to pack a lot of fun in to the time they were here.
Wednesday included a Rockies vs. Red Sox game.  Sam and Brad lived in Boston when Sam was a baby, and have been Red Sox (and Celtic) fans ever since, so they were very excited to find out that Brad’s visit to Denver coincided with the Red Sox being here to play the Rockies.
  P1010012P1010010 P1010016 P1010017
Wednesday included a trip to the Denver Zoo (a specific request from Emma).  It was a bit spur of the moment, so we weren’t totally prepared for the almost 100 degree day.  I about died when I got there and opened my trunk to discover no stroller.  But we rented a wagon and made the best of our time there.
 P1010024 P1010026 P1010027 P1010029 P1010031 P1010032
We spent Wednesday afternoon and evening driving up Mt. Evans.  Sam considers it to be THE “must-do” thing in the Denver area.  He is most likely the ONLY person in Denver who feels that way, but that’s okay.  It is the highest auto road in America, and it  is a “14-er” that you can drive almost all the way to the top of.  I just don’t like the four hours in the car it takes to get there and back.
 DSC_0912 DSC_0914 DSC_0915 DSC_0918
The mountain goats at the top are always a hit with the kids.
 DSC_0920 DSC_0922  DSC_0929  DSC_0942 DSC_0951  DSC_0935DSC_0957 DSC_0959 DSC_0960
Lots of pictures at the top.
We stopped at the lake half way down the mountain to eat the picnic dinner we brought, but it wasn’t the picturesque experience I was hoping for.  Most everyone ate in the car while Campbell cried on the picnic blanket.
   DSC_0971  DSC_0973
Friday we went swimming:
 P1010033
And then went to Bennett’s baseball game that night.  It was almost as fun as the Red Sox game on Wednesday.
DSC_0975
Saturday, Brad and Winnie’s family and Sam and the three oldest kids headed up to Rocky Mountain National Park for a night.  They spent Saturday in Estes, driving through Rocky Mountain, and hiking to a waterfall.
  P1010048P1010047  P1010054 P1010055 P1010052 P1010058 P1010063  P1010066   P1010070 P1010071 P1010072P1010073
That night they slept in a Yurt in the park.  They had to hike in a 1/4 mile through mud to get there, but it was apparently worth it, for everyone seemed to have a great time.
 P1010076 P1010077 P1010078
Dinner in the Yurt – grilled cheesers and soup.
 P1010080 P1010082
Sam loves his car, and thinks Elle will drive it when she is 16.  Cute, huh?
 P1010088 P1010089  P1010091
Views of the inside and outside of the Yurt.
The next morning they hiked back to the cars and met me and Campbell in Fort Collins for the start of Week 2 of our Summer Vacation, or Trip to Utah.  Stay tuned for that very exciting post.
P1010093P1010096  
Rachel carrying Reagan through the mud to the car.  So sweet. 
We really were grateful they drove all the way to Denver to see us, and had a great time with their family.  Thanks for coming, Lehi Millers.

6 comments:

Sarah S said...

that yurt is really cool!! you guys do lots of fun things, i'm always impressed :)

Margaret said...

Looks like fun. I hear you on the hours in the car. It takes a toll with small kids.

Anonymous said...

I most impressed they took Reagan to sleep in the yurt...
Caroline

Winnie said...

We had so much fun!Thanks for having us. I just showed the pictures to Caleb and he said that he missed you guys and can't wait to see you again. Me too.

Brandy said...

Very cute. Very disturbing that I knew what a Yurt was. I like Sam's Subaru too, reminds me of your family's old one!

rebecca allen said...

It looks like it was a great visit from Brad, Winnie, and family. That yurt looks really cool. Are you feeling sad you didn't stay with them in the yurt? I can't believe how old Brad and Winnie's kids are getting. I know how much you love visitors so I'm glad they came and even happier that they made it possible for you to get out to Utah safely.