Sunday, August 16, 2009

Proof we did more than just watch TV all Summer. . . . .

although we did plenty of that as well.

Sure, we started school the beginning of July, but it was for less than three full weeks.  We are now nearing the end of a track-off, and so now it feels like Summer is coming to an end.  Here is some documentation of how the Summer of 2009 was spent by our family.

SWIMMING

Swimming with the Griffiths

P1000003 P1000004 P1000007

 P1000008 P1000013P1000009  Reagan loves her life jacket.  It keeps her just enough out of the water that she doesn’t drown, but she really has to kick her legs to keep from swallowing a lot of water.  I loved seeing her cruise around the pool by herself.  And look at that cute bum.

Swimming at Homestead Pool with either the Hansens or the Weeks (and sometimes both)

P1000014 P1000018 P1000034 P1000033

And lots of swimming lessons.  I signed up Ellery and Bennett for a month at an expensive swim school called Safe Splash.  I immediately regretted it (based completely on the price), and had filled out a withdrawal form before the end of the first lesson.  But we were committed for a month, and had five lessons there.  We just finished a two-week session of lessons at Look Out Pool.  At the start of the session, Elle and Bennett were still (after several Summers of swim lessons) hesitant to fully submerge their faces in the water.  They both made so much progress in the last two weeks.  Bennett passed his level.  He is actually swimming, both the front crawl and the back stroke.  He jumps in the pool and swims to the steps, he dives for rings, he floats on his back, glides on his tummy.  Elle didn’t pass her level (no one in her class did, which might say more about the teacher than the kids), but she has made so much progress as well.  She is going all the way under the water to dive for things, which is huge for her.  She is jumping into the pool, and actually enjoying it.  She is much more comfortable floating on her back, and has the beginnings of the front crawl.  This may not seem like much to most people, since a lot of Elle’s friends are fully swimming already.  But it is really amazing to me how far they have come these last few weeks.  It is wonderful that all the money and time spent on swimming lessons this summer hasn’t been a total waste.

P1000189 P1000192 P1000216P1000199 

I know this pic is blurry, but that is Bennett swimming!  Miracles do happen.

OTHER WATER RELATED ACTIVITIES

The Fountains at Southlands

P1000026 P1000029

P1000031

Splash Pad at Great Plains Park

P1000095 P1000104 P1000106

FREQUENTING GREAT PARKS IN THE AREA

Belleview Park – Petting Zoo, Train, Playground, and Creek

P1000065 P1000043 P1000045 P1000059 P1000061

P1000068

P1000075 P1000076

P1000080 P1000087 P1000082

P1000088 P1000091

Westlands Park and Fountains

P1000116 P1000117

P1000122 P1000124 P1000132 P1000125 P1000130

LAKESIDE AMUSEMENT PARK

P1000187 P1000137 P1000144 P1000150 P1000153 P1000155 P1000157  P1000165 P1000166

P1000146

P1000148 P1000180 P1000181

P1000175 P1000186

 

That looks like a whole lot of Summer fun, huh?  Campbell was always with us.  She didn’t get in on a lot of the action, but could usually be found either:

a – looking cute

P1000111

b – being loved by Maya

P1000176

c – amusing herself in her carseat

P1000036 

or d – hanging out with Hunter.

P1000099 P1000102

She’s a really good baby.  But I recently made the realization that Reagan was a really good baby also.  And
“good” is not a word I would ever use to describe Reagan now.  Which makes me a bit fearful for Campbell’s future.  Or, more accurately, my future with Campbell.  We shall see.

And finally, on a very different note, if you can find nothing in all of our Summer activities to comment on, surely you will have something to say about this next picture.  Last week when I was at Ross, I came across these babies:

P1000107

Straight out of 1990.  I had white and hot pink Reebok high tops just like this when I was 10 or 11 – they even had the ball to pump on the tongue of the shoe.  These were in Reagan’s size, and at $12.99 very hard to pass up.  I was strangely drawn to them, but then really couldn’t imagine myself every putting them on her, so I resisted.  It really is true that everything comes full circle, and all fashion eventually comes back in style. 

8 comments:

Kara said...

You have been busy! I see you made it to Lakeside. How did you like it? Do you (heart) it as much as we do?? :)

Margaret said...

I am continually reminded what good taste you have...Lauren has the same bathingsuit as Ellery!

These pictures are fun. I have a million pictures but no extra time to post lately. :(

Darin and Joanna said...

What a fun summer! Those shoes are hilarious. I keep worrying that more and more of the 80's will resurface....they really should have died! I agree with your post below on finding a balance with your kids. I also feel stressed when too much is going on and I only have a 6 and 4 year old involved as well! Just imagine when they are in high school!!! It's funny when things get crazy or my kids are fighting I call my mom and apologize for anything I ever did to make her life hard. You just don't get it until you are in there shoes!

emily ballard said...

Yeah, is Ellery's swimsuit from Target? I ordered it for Rachel, but it didn't fit.

You made it out to do a lot of things with four kids! I'm impressed.

Tell Ellery to watch for something in the mail. . . it's going out today.

Lisa Allen said...

Such great pictures, Rach. It looks like you guys have had a really fun summer! It is extra impressive that you have gone on so many outings with 4 kids under 7. Way to go!

The Girly Girls said...

There are some strangely familiar children in some of those pictures....

imogene20 said...

Wow! What a fun, wet summer you have all had. I'm so glad you included some pictures of that adorable baby. It is exciting to see the progress Bennett and Elle have made. And Reagan looks cute in anything. We can't wait to see you all.

5 mcneils said...

I have a comment...I love Reagan, I love how she acts in church and nursery. She is a very dependent little girl. Watch out world!!!