Monday, May 19, 2008

70 Hours, To and From

We just returned from our much anticipated trip. There is so much to blog about, and so little time. Now is as good of time as any to start.

Much of our trip was spent in airports. Our trip consisted of 8 separate flights. Many hours spent on airplanes. And just as many, if not more, spent waiting for airplanes. Sam has estimated that we spent around 70 hours in travel time. Here's a glimpse of it all.



Waiting in the Salt Lake airport to catch our flight to LA. Because cute Sam wanted to make sure we were there in plenty of time, and we forgot that the Salt Lake airport is much smaller and easier to get through than Denver, we had almost two hours to kill here. I played Brain Age 2 and Flash Focus on the new Nintendo DS my parents gave me for my birthday right before we left.



Waiting in LAX. I have never been to LAX before. We had plenty of time to take it all in. We didn't see any celebrities, as I had hoped we would, most likely because we flew into the Southwest Terminal, and I am assuming most celebrities don't fly Southwest. We had about 9 hours to kill in this airport. We made ourselves as comfortable as we could in a food court. Sam read a contract for work. I read "The Kite Runner." It is very tragic. I was sobbing at several points during my reading. Sam was worried about me.



An hour or so before our flight was due to take off for Nadi, Fiji, we made our way to our gate. It was very crowded, all the seats taken, people all over the floor, big fans blowing trying to keep the masses cool. It was not a very reassuring start to the 12 hour flight we were about to take.



But we did arrive in the Nadi, Fiji airport safe and sound. Our flight with Air Pacific was all right. I was forced to watch "Dan In Real Life" and "27 Dresses" over and over and over for 13 hours. I never want to see either of those movies ever again. I also read "Atonement." I thought it was interesting, but it all seemed a bit trite after having just read "The Kite Runner." Once we landed, Sam waited for the bags, as pictured above (he was certain they had been lost -- he hates checking baggage), and I sat down on the floor to play my Nintendo DS. Not 1 minute into my Sudoku, I felt a bite, and looked down to see a strange bug crawling out from under me. I quickly stood up, a bit stunned. Welcome to Fiji.



Here we are back in the Nadi airport after our two days in Fiji. We got here in plenty of time, and had another couple of hours to kill before we caught our flight to Auckland. More Nintendo DS for me.



We landed in Auckland around midnight. We had a flight to catch from Auckland, which is on the northern tip of the North Island, to Queenstown, which is in the center of the South Island, at 8:00 am the next morning. So we slept in the airport. I DID NOT fall asleep like this. Sam covered me in all our coats and put the eye cover on me while I was sleeping. Sweet, yes. But I look absolutely ridiculous. Yes, the terminal was that light and bright all night long. Needless to say, it wasn't the best nights sleep (we hadn't had a good nights sleep yet on the trip at this point). We were up by 5:00 am New Zealand time, and found ourselves with more time to kill before we had to board our plane. We got breakfast at the McDonald's in the airport, where we sat by the Auckland mission president and his wife and the three new missionaries they had just picked up that morning to start their missions. That run-in made me happy.



At the gate in the Auckland airport ready to board our flight to Queenstown.



The Queenstown airport, right after we landed, on our way to pick up our rental car.



The Nelson airport, which is at the northern tip of the South Island. Here we turned in our rental car and caught a flight to Wellington, which is on the southern tip of the North Island (are you following this?). It was a very short flight -- only 30 minutes. We spent four times that amount of time waiting to catch our flight. We love hanging out in airports.



There was no security in the Nelson airport. Apparently they aren't worried about terrorist activity in Nelson. Sam did some terrorist profiling, which he assures me is very different from racial profiling, of the other passengers on our very small airplane, and felt we were safe. The good thing about our two hours to burn in this airport is that we were there as the little cafe was closing down, and they reduced all their food to half off. I was able to buy a nice pita sandwich with bacon and avocado and sprouts and tomatoes and aoli for $3. That was by far the best deal we found in our time in New Zealand. And it was so yummy, I convinced Sam to buy one for himself as well.



In the Wellington airport, on the last day of our trip, waiting to catch a flight back to Auckland. I think we both look a bit tired of airports. And we were.



Back in the Auckland airport. I did like the Auckland airport in that it had free internet kiosks. The internet is amazing. It totally kept me connected while we were away. What did people do when they traveled before there were blogs and email?



Just about to board that very large airplane in the background to take us from Auckland back to LA. Isn't it amazing that planes that large can get off the ground? Air New Zealand's 12 hour flight to LA was much nicer than Air Pacific's. Better food, better entertainment. I was able to see the movie "The Kite Runner." Not nearly as good as the book. The book just goes in to so much more detail about the friendship, the betrayal, the redemption. Such a hard book, but such a good book. I also started reading "The Gift From the Sea," a really inspiring book for mothers that my sis-in-law Lisa gave me for my birthday. I would recommend both books.

We didn't get a picture of us waiting in LAX for our Southwest flight back to Salt Lake. We had a 3 hour layover. I ate a Chopped Barbeque Chicked Salad from CPK, which helped my attitude. And I played more Sudoku on my DS. Who knew I would love that little electronic gadget so much.

Bad thing about so many flights: So much time spent in airports and on airplanes.

Good thing about so many flights: I did so much reading! I used to love to read. Since I have had kids, I don't read very often. I of course could make time. But I choose to use most of my down time after the kids are in bed watching mindless television instead. But it was so nice to read again. During our almost-week on the South Island, I read "Eat, Pray, Love." I really liked the eat section of the book, thought the pray part was pretty fascinating, but got pretty bored during the love part. I like Elizabeth Gilbert's writing style though, her candidness. Minus the obscenities. Maybe this is why I stopped reading. All these bestsellers had quite a bit of cursing. Is that always the case?

To end this post, I must mention that it was Sam's idea to take pictures of us in all the different airports. I never would have thought to do this, but am so glad that we did. Sam had this vision of a post on my blog that would include all the airports we spent time in. I hope this doesn't disappoint. Sam may never post on the blog, but he is definitely a supporter. Every time something funny, sad, embarrassing, awkward, exciting, or silly happened on the trip, Sam would turn to me and say, "Blog it." I think I will. It will just take me several nights.

10 comments:

derrickfam said...

You're back! ARen't you so glad you went?! I can't wait to hear more about the trip. It's crazy, but it sounds like a dream come true to sit in an airport or airplane and read. FUN!

Sarah S said...

I'm excited to see more pictures! It's funny to see all of those that you took in the airport. I hate spending time in the airport, but at least you could do whatever you wanted! It is so freeing to do that without kids :)

Winnie said...

That's a lot of airports. I think maybe you should publish a travel guide on what to eat when you're waiting at an airport.

I'm glad you were able to read so much on the trip. We played on my mom's Nintendo DS' Brain Age2 a lot on our trip too.

It's so sweet that Sam was taking such good care of you.

Caroline said...

um. I really, really hate airports and reading this kind of left me with a sick feeling in my stomach. There is nothing worse than having to kill time in an airport. oh wait there is, missing international connections and having no one help you!

Sam said...

"Racial profiling"!?! It was terrorist profiling. Good grief, I'm not Senator Bill Bradley. Wow, that makes me sound awful.

Jen and Daz said...

Oh this post made me laugh so much, as I so relate to all the airports and the waiting game! It's the story of my life getting to Utah from Australia! :)

It reminded me of the first time I flew back from Australia after getting engaged. I hit 4 airports and it took me like 30 hours to get home...could you tell it was my first flight over to Australia and back? On top of the 4 airports add to that crying and tears from having to leave Darran. Since that experience I make sure that we schedule non stop flights from Melbourne to SLC either on Air New Zealand or Qantas...they are the only way to fly!

I'm glad that you are back, and can't wait to see and hear more about your trip, I'm sure it was amazing! Your mom sounded like she had a great time with your kids while you were gone. :)

Catherine said...

The part where Sam makes sure your plane is safe was my favorite, I had to read it to Wes and we both laughed. What a fun trip to get to go to great places. How was Fiji, New Zealand? Can't wait to hear more about it.

Melissa said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip! How wonderful that you could make arrangements for your kids and get away with Sam for a little bit. What great memories!

Paige said...

You are so cute! I'm glad you're back & had a good time. So fun to hear all the details. Can't wait to see more fun pics...

Margaret said...

I just got back from my trip and am slowing catching up on life and blogging. I haven't blogged about my trip yet as it sounds so daunting.

I like 27 Dresses on the airplane but rewatching it over and over would make me coo coo.

I read Eat Pray Love before my trip and thought it was ok. I didn't love it but I did like how real she was. Funny I liked the Love part better than the Eat part though.