

Well, it is official. Last night Sam booked two tickets to New Zealand. I must admit I am a bit sick to my stomach as I write this, and was crying last night. Trying to pin point my emotions it difficult. I have never been very good at discerning what exactly I am feeling and why I am feeling it. Let me try to hash this out for you.
Sam's brother Dan and his wife Abby and their little girl Lucy live in New Zealand. Sam loves New Zealand (or so he thinks, having never actually been there, hence the desire to go there). So he decided when he heard they would be living there for two years that we would go and visit them sometime during their time there. They are now in their second year. The cheapest time to go is our Spring/Summer, which is their Fall/Winter. And apparently their Winter is very cold and windy and wet, so you don't really want to go then. Which leaves us with Fall. Which means we are going in May. Sam found a deal that involved flying in the month of May, and included a stop in Fiji, and then three stops within New Zealand. Dan and Abby live on the North Island, which is beautiful, but apparently you don't want to go to New Zealand without seeing the South Island. So we will fly into the South Island, sight see for a couple of days, then make our way up to the North Island, spend some time with Dan and Abby, and fly out of the North Island. Sam is so excited about it. It has all come together -- the perfect deal which enables us to stop in Fiji and see everything in New Zealand he wants to see. He has been saving his PTO for over a year, using days very carefully, so that he would be able to take this trip. We have put aside money. Sam has been working on the itinerary for over a year. And now we have tickets. We will leave Utah on May 3rd, and return to Utah on May 15th. Sounds like a great trip, right? So why the sadness, stress, and anxiety?
Well, for those of you who don't know (although I can't imagine anyone that is reading this who doesn't know), we have three young children. And they aren't going with us. I tried to convince Sam that we should at least take Reagan, but apparently international flights don't allow infants to travel for free, so it would have cost a portion of a normal ticket price, I think around $600. And Sam reminded me that I am always saying how nice it would be for just the two of us to go on a trip. And I do always say that. But I had more like a nice weekend trip in mind -- not a two week trip. I wish I could say that I am just so sad to be away from the kids for that long. And I am sure that is part of it. That is a LONG time to be away from the kids -- I can't even imagine it. I am thrilled if I get a couple of hours away from them. A day would be nice. But 13 days? Strange, to say the least. But I am feeling a lot of guilt about all of this. Our plan involves driving to Utah and depositing the children there. We have a lot of family in Utah, and our hope is that between all of them, the kids will be able to spend a couple of days here and there, and no one person will be stuck with them for too long.
But will that be hard on the kids? I think Ellery and Bennett are old enough that they will really like the idea of having a couple of sleep overs with Grandpa and Grandma Allen, and then a couple with Brighton and Chelsea, and then a couple with Max and Ellie and Hunter, and then a couple with Grammie and Grandpa, and then a couple with Aunt Jo and Adam, and then a couple with Caleb and the girls, and then a couple with Aunt Caroline. I am telling myself that the kids won't mind the bouncing around, and that our sweet family will be able to stand having our kids for two days. But I worry about Reagan. She really is the best-natured, easiest going baby around. If any baby could handle sleeping at a new place every couple of days for two weeks, she could. But I'm not convinced any baby could do that. Some people seem to think that asking people to watch all three of the kids is a lot to ask, and I understand that. But we only have so much family, so if we separate the kids, then they will have Elle and Bennett a couple of days, and then Reagan a couple of other days. I guess I feel like if they have all three of the kids, those will be two crazy days, but then it will only be two days. Anyone can do anything for two days, right? I don't think separating Ellery and Bennett is an option. Bennett doesn't do great with change, and he will need Ellery as his constant. And honestly, I think he needs Reagan too. Even though she doesn't particularly enjoy the fact that he has no regard for her personal space, he gets sad when someone else at Church holds Reagan ("Mom, I want my baby back.") I don't know how he would do without Reagan for a couple of weeks. Ugh. But leaving them here and getting a couple to watch them isn't really an option either. I think the only way I will feel okay with leaving them is if they are with family. So we are back to taking them to Utah. And back to square one, trying to figure out the best way to work this whole thing. Any suggestions?

11 comments:
Your husband sounds like a jerk. Maybe you could leave him and marry Marlin from Finding Nemo. It would be weird, but peaceful. But you would still end up in Oceania trying to locate Marlin in the East Australian Current. Righteous.
You are so cute Rachel! I don't know that I've ever harbored that much guilt over leaving my kids. Does that make me a bad mom? I don't even know. But you've told me a few times now that I am too hard on myself. And you are right. But the term "ditto" is starting to come to mind. Ha Ha.
Everything will be fine in the end and who knows you may love New Zealand and spending time with Marlin, I mean Sam.
And the thing that would bring me the most comfort is this...small children have limited memories. Reagan will never remember that you left. Bennett might have a small memory of it...but boys don't hold on to gruges for a long time. Ellery, being the social butterfly she is, may love all the new attention and may form stronger relationships with your family members!
So take comfort! A trip to New Zealand is a good thing!
I'd go for you...but that would be a little weird. Me and Marlin, I mean Sam.
Rach, I completely understand how you feel!! I love to travel and am pining to go somewhere fun next December like Mexico or Hawaii, but the thought of leaving Eli for a week makes me physically ill.
But on the other hand, I think it's great that you'll have this amazing trip (not many people go to New Zealand, not to mention actually visit family there), and it would be so hard if you brought the kids or even Reagan along. Can you imagine flying that far with a baby/kids?? No thanks.
My vote as an outsider (who doesn't know your kids super well, just from reading your blog :) would be to keep the kids together. I think it would be unsettling as a child to not have all of my siblings with me while staying with various relatives. And Ellery and Bennett can help the adults they are with know what to do with Reagan since they know her well.
I wish I could give advice but we only have one baby who is only 9 months old and we haven't ever left him with someone else (but will for our upcoming trip to Hawaii). I am relieved that I am not taking Jake to Hawaii with us b/c I think it would be too much on him with all the traveling, etc. I think they will be fine, though. You deserve a break and time with your hubby kid-free, even if it is 13 whole days, ENJOY!!!
Rach my friend...I know how you feel! It's so hard to leave them, but its sooo good for you. Rocky and I made a goal to go on a trip in between each birth(does that make sense?) and we've stuck to it! It is the best thing in the world. You are going to miss them like crazy and want to be home so much, but when you do come home you're going to be so happy to be a mom!! it's just a good reflection time. You'll be grateful. And New Zealand!! I'm jealous. I'll take your place.
Ok Rachel, Take a deep breath!!!! Everything will be fine. I was really worried about leaving my kids last year when we went to Hawaii. We were gone for 8 days and split the time between grandparents. I know I missed the boys more than they missed me. Half of the time when I called they were to busy having fun to talk on the phone. I didn't have a baby, but I am sure Reagan will be just fine. And if she has a hard time---well let your family worry about her and you just go and enjoy yourselves. You two deserve a break to be alone with one another---and like you said anyone can handle kids for two days. I am a little envious! Darin's sis and bro in law also live on the north island of new zealand and have for the past five years or so. Darin and I would love to go so you let us know how it goes and maybe next year we can do the same when our baby is a year old as well.
Rach - a trip to New Zealand sounds so great! I am so excited for you, but I understand completely! We are going on a cruise in February & when we booked it, I thought it sounded so great to leave the boys for a few days. Now that it's getting closer, I'm getting really nervous! I agree with you that it's hard to split them up. Hayden really watches out for Brock & I think that if they were apart (like you said of Bennett & Reagan) he would worry about not only us being gone, but his brother as well. I am splitting the time with family as well, instead of splitting up the boys. I know it's different with 3 though. If you need help with your kids while they're here, I would love to get them & go to the park or on a playdate. If that would help, Hayden would love to play with Bennett & Ellery. And Reagan would be welcome, too! Let me know!
We would absolutely love to have your kids, for as long as you will let us have them! Brighton and Chelsea will be so thrilled. There is absolutely no reason to stress! What a wonderful opportunity for you and Sam.
think of all the great pictures you can post when you get home! does that give any comfort?
Rachel,
Both Matt and I work during the week but if it's over a weekend we would love to spend time with your children. We hardly get to see them and it would be so much fun! You are so sweet and you have so many people out here who love you and we are just so excited that you two get to take this fun trip. Honestly, the only thing you need to worry about is what you're going to pack for two weeks (as a proven over-packer, that would be a serious concern for me :D).
How fun that you are going to be coming to my neck of the woods in a few months! How exciting! I know that you are going to love it once you get here! You are both so blessed to have such wonderful kids and wonderful family in Utah, that the kids will have a blast with all their cousins, aunties, uncles and especially grandma's and grandpa's. Everything will work out and they will be alright. Just remember that you need to be alright or you won't enjoy this beautiful country that you are coming to visit, and who knows when the next time will be that you'll ever get back to New Zealand. Embrace the trip and all the cultural - you'll love it!!! And your kids will love the adventure and their trip to Utah with all the family. This is really a good thing! :)
Post a Comment